Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF) 2023: The Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF) is a new scholarship scheme launched by the Government of India to support individuals who face financial constraints in completing their Ph.D. programs. This initiative aims to provide monetary help to deserving students, enabling them to pursue their research aspirations. This article provides an overview of the PMRF program, including eligibility criteria and a step-by-step application procedure.
About Prime Minister Research Fellowship:
The Prime Minister Research Fellowship is designed to assist students who are unable to complete their Ph.D. programs due to a lack of adequate funds. The fellowship program is administered through the official portal created by the Government of India, which serves as a platform for all procedures related to the fellowship program. The program offers numerous benefits to its beneficiaries.
Details of PM Research Fellowship:
- Name: Prime Minister Research Fellowship
- Launched by: Government of India
- Beneficiaries: Students of India
- Objective: Monetary help
- Official Website: PMRF
- Last date to apply online: July
- PMRF deadline for direct entry: Similar to the deadlines of Ph.D. applications at PMRF granting institutions
- PMRF deadline for lateral entry:
- Within 12 months of joining Ph.D. (for master’s degree holders)
- Within 24 months of joining Ph.D. (for bachelor’s degree holders)
PMRF Eligibility – Direct Entry Channel: To apply for the scholarship scheme through the Direct Entry Channel, applicants must meet the following eligibility conditions:
- Pursuing or completing the final year of a Bachelor’s or Master’s or dual degree in Science and Technology streams from IISc/IITs/NITs/IISERs/IIEST with a CGPA/CPI of 8.0 or above on a 10-point scale, OR
- Pursuing or completing the final year of a Bachelor’s Master’s or dual degree in Science and Technology streams from any other recognized Indian university/institution (not covered in the above point) with a CGPA of 8.0 or equivalent and a minimum score of 650 in respective GATE subject, OR
- Qualified GATE and pursuing or completed M.Tech./MS by Research at one of the PMRF Granting Institutes, having a minimum CGPA or CPI of 8.0 (on a 10-point scale) or above at the end of the first semester with a minimum of four courses.
- Must apply and get selected for the Ph.D. program in one of the PMRF granting institutes.
Read More :
Lateral Entry Channel: To apply for the scholarship scheme through the Lateral Entry Channel, applicants must meet the following eligibility conditions:
- Pursuing a Ph.D. in one of the PMRF granting institutions.
- Candidates with a master’s program must have completed at most 12 months in the Ph.D. program.
- Candidates with a bachelor’s degree must have completed at most 24 months in the Ph.D. program.
- Must have completed at least four courses in the Ph.D. program (each of which should be a full-semester course) with a CGPA of 8.5 or above on a 10-point scale.
- A candidate can be considered at most twice for the fellowship through a lateral entry channel.
The benefit of the Prime Minister Research Fellowship:
The Prime Minister Research Fellowship offers the following benefits to the selected candidates:
- Admission to the Ph.D. program in one of the IISc/IISERs/IITs/NITs/Central Universities.
- Financial assistance, including a fellowship of INR 70,000 per month for the first two years, INR 75,000 per month for the 3rd year, and INR 80,000 per month in the 4th and 5th years.
- Rigorous assessment of the fellows’ performance, with the continuation of the fellowship in the subsequent years dependent on successful assessment.
- Research grant of INR 2 lakh per annum (total amount of INR 10 lakh) for selected fellows.
- The tenure of the fellowship is four years for students from integrated courses and five years for B.Tech. students.
- For students selected through the lateral entry channel, the fellowship, and its obligations will continue only for the remaining duration of the doctoral program.
Features of Prime Minister Research Fellowship:
The Prime Minister Research Fellowship program encompasses the following features:
- Admission in 19 broad disciplines.
- Each broad discipline is coordinated by one IIT or IISc, referred to as the Nodal Institute for that discipline.
- The fellowship program covers a wide range of disciplines, including Aerospace Engineering, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, and more.
PMRF List of Host Institutions:
The following host institutions will accommodate Ph.D. candidates under the PMRF program:
- IISc Bangalore
- All IITs
- All IISERs
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
- University of Hyderabad
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU)
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- The University of Delhi (DU)
To apply for the fellowship, applicants must have the following documents:
|2||Scanned copy of mark sheets/grade sheets/transcripts|
|3||Scanned copy of the GATE qualifying certificate|
|4||Abstract copy (max 1,000 words in a PDF file)|
|5||Curriculum Vitae (CV) is limited to two A4 pages,
emphasizing academic achievements, skills, internships, publications, and research-related software skills.
The selection procedure for the PMRF Scheme is as follows:
- Selection will be made through two channels: Direct Entry Channel and Lateral Entry Channel.
- Under the direct entry channel, the granting institution where the candidate has been admitted will recommend candidates based on their merit.
- The final selection will be based on research exposure, publications, performance in international academic competitions, grades, and recommendation letters.
- Under the lateral entry channel, the granting institution where the candidate has been admitted will recommend candidates based on merit demonstrated during the first 12-24 months of the program.
- The final selection for the lateral entry channel will be based on the strength of the research proposal, publication record, and grades.
Application Fees :
The applicant will have to pay the following application fees in this scholarship scheme:-
- Rupees 10000 through the State Bank of India collection page
To apply for the Prime Minister Research Fellowship, follow these simple steps:
- Click on the provided link to access the PM Research Webpage dedicated to the scholarship.in their official website: PMRF.in
- The homepage of the scholarship will appear on your screen.
- Familiarize yourself with the information available on the webpage.
- Locate and click on the “Apply Online” button.
- A new page will open, displaying the application form.
- Fill in all the necessary details as required in the form.
- Upload the required documents as specified.
- Make the payment for the application fees.
- Upload the receipt confirming the payment.
- Double-check all the information filled in the form.
- Submit the form successfully.
- It is recommended to take a printout of the submitted application form for future reference.
By following these steps, you can complete the application process for the Prime Minister Research Fellowship.
Terms and Conditions:
Applicants must adhere to the following terms and conditions while applying for the fellowship:
- Fellows will have annual deliverables, determined by their assigned guide and department.
- Fellowship continuation is subject to an annual review, based on satisfactory performance assessed by a review committee.
- Fellows are expected to teach once a week in a nearby Polytechnic/ITI/Engineering College.
- Failure to meet deliverables may result in a reduction or discontinuation of the fellowship.